Dear All,

I have been making a lot of progress with a project to ensure POCT results from our blood gas analysers and blood glucose meters enter our hospital information system and have our Director of Information Management & Technology onside.  I have now suddenly been asked why these should go into the same system as other pathology results and not 'somewhere else'.  And indeed why this should be done at all as the 'whole point of POCT is that you get a result there and then'.  My business case of course addresses a lot of this but I wondered if others who have achieved this could give me some back up!

If you have achieved this could you tell me:

1) Are the results in a HIS alongside other Pathology results, but clearly identified as POCT tests?
2) Any other useful arguments/information you think I might have missed from my business case?

Kind Regards
Natalie

Natalie Vaughan (nee Smith)
Clinical Biochemist & POCT Supervisor