It is true about the CRP POCT analysers being very very common at GPs in DK. But there is no rule as such about prescribing.  But it is definitely used very often. More often to convince patients that antibiotics are of no use in a viral infection.
But what should also be noted are other incentives for performing the test. The GPs charge the national health for the service. And the tarif is more than the cost of reagents etc. The present tarif that the GPs charge the NHS is £6 on top on the consultation.

The quality control of POCT analysers and the performance tests is often a topic for debate between clinical biochemists and GPs.

The price of CRP in our hospital  lab is similar to that of a UK NHS lab.

Best regards

Karen Søeby
Dept of Clinical Biochemistry
Roskilde Hospital