Van: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Graham Jones
Verzonden: maandag 19 augustus 2013 2:25
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Units

Dear Angela and others,

The issue of u v mu (µ) has recently been addressed in Australia. We have agreed to adopt the UCUM (Unified Codes for Units of Measure) formatting principles to only use letters from the standard ascii printable character set. Thus u is preferred to µ. Even to put the µ in above I had a choice of copying the one you provided or (as I did) look up the code in the ASCII extended character set and type in ALT 230.

While most printers and screen displays have no trouble with the extended character set this is not universal. In a setting where our results may be taken and used by different computer systems we have a requirement to avoid potential errors. I know results are typed or copied and pasted into e-mails, discharge summaries etc and data extract programs run on any pathology database you can name.

I have attached some examples of errors I have seen. My favourite is from a journal article making a recomendation on this topic where the same block of text was both correctly and incorrectly rendered for the character mu (I think one was from a heading which used a different formatting, see attached).

UCUM is certainly not widely known (I have been seeking signs of recognition from colleagues over the last year or so, usually without only blank faces in response). My understanding is that as well as providing for uniform human-readable information the key aspect is for unambigious machine readable data transmission, making robust calculations based on computer data more realistic.

For this interested the official Australian position is at: http://www.rcpa.edu.au//static/file/Asset%20library/public%20documents/Publications/PUTS/APUTS%20Standard%20v1_4.pdf

More about UCUM is at: unitsofmeasure.org

Regarding IU or U (for International Units and Units) we have gone to the source of the reference (as per Anders Kallner's comments) . For example if an assay is traceable to a WHO reference material, and the Certificate uses the term "IU" then so should we.

Regards,

Graham