From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Doyle White [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 August 2013 11:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Magic, Polygamy and STIs in Scotland

Hello all

I fear I must echo the thoughts of Mr Winsdale on this issue. Ms MacLure's use of language had me a tad concerned, particularly with the "Whatever next?" comment, which reminded me a little too strongly of right-wing polemics in the Daily Mail. There is a major problem of societal stigma surrounding HIV + individuals both in this country and across the world that far too often leads to outright bigotry and persecution, so I would ask that contributors to this thread be cautious about the sort of language that they choose to use.

I concur with Mogg that the subject can be of relevance to the academic study of magic, in that the threat of STIs (among them HIV/AIDS, but also many, many others) is often present in sex magic, but how that particularly pertains to the legal recognition of polygamy/polyamory in Scotland is a little beyond me.

My best to all

Ethan Doyle White
http://ucl.academia.edu/EthanDoyleWhite