Dear All

I'm also very sorry to hear of Dave's passing. He made a big contribution, both as an academic and as a human being, and he will be missed.

Geoffrey

Date:    Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:20:14 +0100
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>
From:    mandrake <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Dave Evans

Dear All

In case you've not already heard, the founder(?) of this list and the
one time journal JSM just died after a long journey with illness,

here's a post from Al Cummings:

"Today I found out that a good friend of mine - the teacher, writer, and
magician, Dave Evans - has died.

Dave had been terminal for some time - something he seems to have kept
from the vast majority of people who knew him, myself included. Faced
with a choice of debilitating treatments with slim chance of helping in
a hospital bed, or going on a massive adventure round the world seeing
beautiful natural wonders, Dave understandably chose the latter.

I met Dave when I first moved to Bristol. A former student of my
supervisor - not to mention himself an academic and an occultist - Dave
was an incredibly supportive friend to me. He leant me books, introduced
me to other lovely fascinating people, put me up on academic email
lists, cooked some amazing curries, and shared some brilliant stories.
He helped me publish one of my first articles.

Dave was a passionate, funny, independent, and kind person. He was a
good man.

I will be very, very sorry not to hear from him again, but I am very
pleased to have known him, and glad he left on his own terms happy with
his decisions.

Eleutheria and all that. Free at last.

Take care, mate. xxx
"

<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>