Sent on behalf of John Crawford

 Volunteers wanted for Leadhills Library

Dear all,

Leadhills Library in South Lanarkshire would like to recruit more volunteers to staff this historic library, founded in 1741, on the days which it is open to the public. Leadhills Library is Britain’s first surviving subscription library and the world’s first working class subscription library and its foundation was linked to innovative ideas about lifelong learning.

Currently the library is only open at weekends and is closed in the winter months. Volunteers are of course, unpaid and do not receive expenses and volunteering would probably appeal to those living within easy travelling distance of Leadhills and a car is pretty much essential. Details about the Library can found at the undernoted URL and I have written a volunteer’s manual to help new volunteers.

Please reply to me at the undernoted email address and I can forward replies to the Trust vice chairman.

Best wishes

Dr John Crawford

Trustee, Leadhills Heritage Trust

http://www.leadhillslibrary.co.uk/