hi Paul, and everyone--

The Dryad digital repository has been developing and refining curation practices since our inception way back in 2009.  Curator tasks, with time estimates, checklists and manuals, are provided on this wiki page:
http://wiki.datadryad.org/Curation

I hope this is helpful.

Peggy

Peggy Schaeffer, Communications Coordinator, Dryad

Dryad repository: http://datadryad.org
Dryad documentation:  http://wiki.datadryad.org
Blog:  http://blog.datadryad.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/datadryad