From: Marsh Alison [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 July 2013 08:52
To: Marc Fresko; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Query re. Version Control & taking documents through a Committee Process

My tuppence worth….

When a new document is created we classify it as 0.1, when changes are made and have been submitted to the appropriate governance group this version increases so 0.2, 0.3 and so on.  When it has been ratified it becomes version 1.0.

We review most Policies yearly, so if there are any changes it would become 1.1, 1.2 etc.  Again second time it has been ratified it then becomes 2.0.

This changes every year and we retain all previous ratified versions.  Locally, I have retained the “draft” versions because I often receive requests for who wanted this in the policy etc, however we now have a section which is huge that shows the changes, including, when, what it was, what it is, who by and who approved, thereby and in theory removing the queries.

In response to Marc’s question of Where does it come from?  Who says? – this is something that has always been in effect in the NHS and is seen as something most people can master quite easily, although you should see some of the number of draft versions that we have, I think the highest I have seen was V6.23 – every minor change was classed as a draft!

Kind Regards

Alison Marsh

Service Development Lead – Cancer and Transformation

Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust

Tel: 0161-206-8964

Mobile: 07818 580151

NHS Mail: [log in to unmask]

Patient & Customer Focus, Accountability, Continuous Improvement, Respect