On Jul 8, 2013, at 1:19 AM, Mohammad Razzaghi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> what if we establish the relationship between
> knowledge & researchers as babies & their parents. So, if within that piece
> of knowledge (the Baby) there are the DNAs of researchers, photographers',
> analysts' works, they are the parents of that new-born piece of knowledge in
> one way or another and as a result, they must be credited for.

I have trouble with this explanation. "The right of paternity" is one of the main points of "moral rights" regimes. (Moral rights claims are the basis for copyright in many non-common law countries and have some hold in common law realms, too.) I find the metaphor troubling in that context, too.

In a not completely unrelated analogy, the word plagiarism comes from the Latin term for the kidnapping of ones children or slaves.

I'm not one to find patriarchy hiding under every bed but sometimes I trip on it when I'm just trying to go take a nap. There's a pile of assumptions here--that parents have the right be credited for their children, that children are chattel of some sort, that knowledge and ideas are property, and that children and enslaved people are property--but I don't have time to sort it neatly right now.

I should make it clear that I am not intending to accuse Mohammad of responsibility for the entire pile of assumptions but the pile needs to be untangled, sorted out, and at least toss in the laundry basket before anyone accepts any part of it.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program