From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lorna Campbell
Sent: 23 July 2013 16:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Use of CC NC licences within UK F/HE - can we reach consensus?

Hi there,

Earlier today there was a short but lively discussion on twitter about the pros, cons and ambiguities of using the CC NC licence in academic contexts.   I'm sure many of your will be aware of the complex issues that this raises, particularly with regard to whether or not education is regarded as a commercial activity.  If anything, these issues have become more pressing with the advent of commercial MOOC providers such as FutureLearn.   Trying to define "commercial" "non-commercial" and even "education" in global terms is a difficult task if not impossible task, however our twitter discussion this morning led David Kernohan to ask if it might be possible to define what these terms mean within the context of our own community, i.e. UK F/HE.  So what do you think, is there any mileage in trying to agree how and in what context the CC NC licence can be used appropriately within UK Higher and Further Education?  What are the chances of us being able to reach a consensus?  Would it be useful just to air the issues?   Let us know what you think!

Cheers
Lorna

--
Lorna M. Campbell