Sent: 25 July 2013 20:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] welder v's brazer

Hi
I have two groups of staff in a couple of places I work.
Brazers and Welders, so far the only information I have been given between the roles is that "brazers use electric" and "welders use acetylene" - "but then brazers might use acetylene too!" besides the usual workshop rivalry answers- eg brazers are wanna be welders etc.

My google search shows that welding puts a lump of metal to make a joint where brazing heats metals to melt to a joint- which has not helped in my understanding of the differences in the roles and health implications.

I am trying to establish if the Dept of Health guidance in relation to pneumococcal vaccine for welders also extends to brazers.

I understand that welders are proven to have increased risk of pneumonia-not sure why but if I can find out why- then I will be able to advise the brazers!

Anyone any idea?
Jacqui

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: