Hi

An OP I worked with had the fab phrase that perceived stress is not a medical condition but is a mismatch between demand and perceived ability to cope. The mismatch is not always due to an underlying pre-existing illness but is more often situational e.g. workplace issues or family illness. The stress may result in symptoms that often are also situational e.g. becomes highly aroused when discussing/dealing directly with perceived stressor e.g. in GP surgery, dealing with workplace etc. This can also be anticipatory e.g. in the 24-48 hours before a meeting with management. Often the symptoms are absent away from the situation e.g. normal interaction with friends, family, social activities etc. In some cases the GP may medicate to help alleviate some of the symptoms e.g sleep aids, but the 'cure' is not medically orientated as this does not address the stressors....meditation won't stop you losing your house if can't pay mortgage but winning lottery will (an analogy I often use to employees).

So as Sharon says it comes down to what value you feel referral would add taking into account the substantial cost in money and time.

Carr