Hi Diane. I think it is likely to be to increased heat. Patients may be dehydrated due to not increasing fluids in hot weather. Dehydration as you are aware reduces blood pressure. Feeling anxious followed by relief it is all over may reduce BP more and then they faint. So I would suggest water is offered or recommended prior to the procedure.

From: Diane Romano-Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:12:30 +0100
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Increased fainting?

Hello list
I have just realised that I had one young man faint last week during venepuncture and one  the week before after an injection. I am putting this down to the hot weather as this is a higher rate  than usual.
Has anyone else noticed an increase?
I wonder if this could be a combination of vaso-vagal effects with mild dehydration.
Perhaps I should start advising people to have a couple of glasses of water before such procedures...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fainting/Pages/Causes.aspx

Diane Romano-Woodward
RN  RSCPHN-OH  BSc   M Med Sc.(Occ Health)
Sunny Blue Sky Limited
Company Number  06865212

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.