This is very good news.

It still remains challenging to convince financially challenged Trusts of the benefit of the clinical academic role. I look forward to hearing more.

--
Tomasina Stacey RM MPH PhD
Consultant midwife

On 3 Jul 2013, at 12:44, Debbie Carrick-Sen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Allison & colleagues

Just to let you know, we are working towards formalising the clinical academic role within the UK for nurses, midwives and AHP’s. I co chair the National group and as a nurse and midwife, I am making sure midwives are firmly considered. We have been working on this for the last 3 years and I think it will take some time to establish, as we looking at looking at a major culture change. As you say, it is the clinical aspect that is more challenging, research training schemes are available but need to be coordinated and clinical aspects incorporated. We are doing a press release mid July to increase awareness of what a clinical academic  is, what we have done so far, what still needs to done and more importantly make explicit the contribution to care and outcome through research activity. I am speaking on this important topic at this years RCM annual conference.

We are looking for quotes illustrating difficulties so far for clinicians who currently work in a clinical academic role or wish to aspire to one.

I am happy to be contacted via the list or off line by email [log in to unmask]

Best Wishes

Debbie Carrick-Sen

Degree Programme Director/Senior Lecturer/ Head of Research for Nursing and Midwifery

University office: Room M2.106, Leech Building, Newcastle University

Postal address:

Dr Debbie Carrick-Sen

Clinical Research Degree Programme Director

c/o Faculty of Medical Sciences

Postgraduate Taught Office

Graduate School

Newcastle University