medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Thank you very much, Paul, for bringing this to the attention of the list. The works presented here are numerous and useful. But the site makes me wonder: who produced it, and why? If it's public mindedness that is the spur, they are selfless heroes, but what is the rationale for selecting certain works or editions, and not others? I am puzzled by the first example I stumbled upon: the Acta Sanctorum. There are three series in existence that bear this name: the official one, published by the Bollandists since the mid 17th century; an eighteenth-century version from Venice, and a nineteenth-century one from Paris. This web site presents the third one, which varies in pagination if not content from the official version. If I'm right in assuming that the official version is out of copyright, why not choose to present that version, instead of the Parisian one?

More to the point: I am at once invigorated and overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of material that appears online. I need a Guide for the Perplexed.

Best wishes, George

--
George FERZOCO