I agree as well. The value of endorsements has been eliminated by this pointless LinkedIn encouragement.

I also get details of jobs I might be interested in sent to me by LinkedIn based on my experience - by and large they are of no interest whatsoever (irrespective of the fact that I am about to retire).

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim

From: Karen McAulay <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 3 July 2013, 9:14
Subject: Re: LinkedIn endorsements

KPXL Signature
I totally agree.  Folk regularly – almost on a weekly basis – endorse me for my library cataloguing skills.  It’s true, I’ve been cataloguing for decades, and I do have these skills.  However, in the past decade I’ve built up my research profile significantly.  It’s frustrating when people who don’t really know me – or how I spend my week (currently 60% librarianship, 40% research), endorse me for a routine activity which is most assuredly not my highest level skill!  I haven’t yet worked out how to adjust my profile to indicate which skills I most want people to rate highly!

Karen

Karen McAulay
Music and Academic Services Librarian
+44 (0)141 270 8267 (direct)