Anne (and indeed other list recipients)

I agree that this is a positive and indeed long overdue mention, thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Without trying to sound too negative or uninformed about excellent work which I am sure is being carried out by libraries with CCGs and CSUs, I wonder how easy some CCG staff would find it to actually get library support?

After such a time of great change the picture is I think complicated as regards provision for groups like CCGs and CSUs. Although I work for a CSU, my role isn't that of a traditional librarian any more, and whilst we do provide the sort of electronic access indicated, we don't necessarily provide other services.

Whilst I can see that any of the intended audience could sign up for electronic alert services and Athens, the text mentions a range of other library services, some of which I suspect just don't exist in some areas. In my own CSU area, whilst services may exist for some staff I am farily confident that they don't exist for all CCGs - at least not without further investment.

The point that I am trying to make here is that in some areas library support is very thin on the ground (many of our services having lost staff in recent reorganisations). Whilst getting our services publicised like this is useful, and I really am wrestling with the rights and wrongs of this, the idea that everyone has a local LKS, and that they can access it free, isn't reflecting reality.

It will be interesting to see if we see an effect as a result of this but sadly it is my view that some staff reading this bulletin may believe that they have access to services above and beyond that which we are able (and funded) to provide).

This is a genuine question - we've always been very good at providing excellent service - sometimes for little or no money. Can we keep on doing this with resources reducing? Not trying to offend anyone here, but this is something I have come to feel very strongly about, having seen services eroded over a number of reorganisations.

I hasten to add that these are just my own views.....

Helen

Helen Spence
Benefits Realisation Analyst
North and East London Commissioning Support Unit
020 3 688 1041

1st Floor,  Clifton House
75-77 Worship Street
London,  EC2A 2EJ