Dear all,

Further to recent conversations on the list about experimenting with alternatives to email for discussion, practice sharing, professional networking etc., ALDinHE is pleased to announce that we will be trialling this idea in the autumn. As you will have observed, the list is very often a site for rich and stimulating discussions. However, we would also like to explore the use of online spaces which might be more conducive to dialogue and discussion around particular themes. It’s not a question of replacing or supplanting the list. Far from it – we hope to build on its strengths and provide even further opportunities for communication. For the purposes of the trial, and with support from JISC, we will be using the Blackboard Collaborate platform (you don’t need an institutional licence with Bb in order to use Collaborate).

As this is a trial, it will very much be a question of dipping our toes in, and seeking feedback from participants as to whether this is something they wish to proceed with. It will also provide a good opportunity to gauge levels of interest in this kind of activity.

The plan is to run a couple of sessions in early to mid-autumn. To help us plan and prepare for these, we would be very grateful if you could, (before the end of August):

1)      Register your interest in participating (just to give us an idea of levels of interest, for now);

2)      Share with us your thoughts as to what you would like the discussion space to achieve; and

3)      Share with us your thoughts (perhaps borne of experience) regarding the principles and practices which should underpin our use of online discussion spaces.

Anika Easy (Leeds University Union) has very kindly agreed to collate responses for now, so please email your responses to: [log in to unmask]

Very Best Wishes,

Steve

Steve Rooney

Learning Development Manager

University of Leicester

0116 252 2316

www.le.ac.uk/succeedinyourstudies

Elite Without Being Elitist

Times Higher Awards Winner 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/uniofleicester

www.le.ac.uk

Chair of the Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE)