Dear colleagues, please find details below of the upcoming conference, The International Voice in Shakespeare on the London Stage, which explores the different ways in which Shakespeare has been adapted around the world, featuring performances of an extract from the physical adaptation of Macbeth by WOH Productions, and WERE I HUMAN, based on The Tempest, directed and illustrated by Terry D’Alfonso. All proceeds will be donated to The Rose Theatre, Bankside, in order to raise funds for its final excavation.

For more details, please visit https://www.facebook.com/events/677773855584355/.

With best wishes,

Enza De Francisci

THE INTERNATIONAL VOICE IN SHAKESPEARE

ON THE LONDON STAGE

Monday 30 September 2013

18:00-21:00

Performances: 19:45

The Rose Theatre, Bankside

56 Park Street, London SE1 9AS

PROGRAMME

18:00: Welcoming Speech

Enza De Francisci

Session I: Papers by Departments at University College London

18:05: Chris Stamakatis (English)

‘Some rare noteworthy object in thy travel’:

Shakespeare’s Italy and Early Modern Travel Writing

18:25: Enza De Francisci (Italian, SELCS)

Giovanni Grasso: The Other Othello in London

18:45: Lily Kahn (Hebrew and Jewish Studies)

Linguistic Aspects of the First Hebrew Shakespeare Translations

19:05: Geraldine Brodie (Dutch, SELCS)

Shakespeare and Surtitles: Toneelgroep’s Roman Tragedies in London

19:25: Round-Table Discussion

Translating, Transporting and Transposing Shakespeare

Chair: Rene Weis (English)

Session II: Performances of Shakespeare

19:45: WERE I HUMAN based on The Tempest

Adapted, Directed and Illustrated by Terry D’Alfonso

Read by Diana Berriman and Simonetta Allder

In Memory of Giorgio Strehler

20:05: Macbeth and the Physical Theatre (WOH Productions

Adapted by Anthony Khaseria and Manuela Ruggiero

Directed by Manuela Ruggiero

Produced by Carolina Artegiani

20:25: Post-Show Discussion

Adapting Shakespeare Today

Chair: Florian Mussgnug (Italian)

20:45: Closing Remarks

Enza De Francisci

This conference is generously supported by the Mazzini Garibaldi Charitable Foundation

Dr Enza De Francisci

Teaching Assistant

Department of Italian

School of European Languages, Culture and Society

University College London

Gower Street

WC1E 6BT

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies