Dear List Members,

On behalf of Sharon Wood, please find below a call for contributions.

Call for contributions to the volume:

Annie Chartres Vivanti: Writing Among Political Engagement, Gender Identity and Cosmopolitism.

(provisional title)

Annie Chartres Vivanti (1866–1942), poet, novelist and cabaret artist, daughter of a Mazzinian exile and a German-Jewish mother, was raised in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment. During her cosmopolitan life, Vivanti lived in England, America, Switzerland and Italy, while authoring hugely successful novels in both English and Italian, some of which were self-translated. Until recently, Vivanti was known largely for L’invasore, a play about wartime rape and pregnancy, but her production also included travel writing, journalism, and novels ranging from the sensationalist to the comedic. Our volume welcomes papers that explore the work of Vivanti, a writer who brought a transnational dimension to the Italian novel in work concerned with issues of gender, ethnicity, and sexuality on both the personal and the global levels. We seek essays that examine Vivanti’s work through a multiple array of perspectives, particularly those that take into account her career as a journalist, writer, singer, as well as her political stances. We also welcome works on issues of translation, and on adaptations of her works such as Guai ai Vinti! by RaffaelloMatarazzo (1954).

Please forward a brief cv and a 500-word proposal by September 30th, 2013. Proposals and papers should be sent (preferably as MS Word or WordPerfect attachments) to the addresses below:

Sharon Wood [log in to unmask]

Erica Moretti [log in to unmask]

Inquiries are most welcome and should be addressed to the same addresses.

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies