Yes, the disease was also called the "Neapolitan bone-ache".

Anthony Oldcorn

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Gianfrancesco, L <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

I am currently working on some sources related to early modern Neapolitan science and would be grateful if you could kindly help me understand the word Indian pox –which I suspect it may be related to syphilis- in the following context:

We describe this Opiate, for the help of such Youngsters as Venery hath caught: it is Invented by much Reason, described by much Art, and proved by much Experience; for given when and where it should, it successfully cures the Indian Pox, which they call the Neapolitan Disease: whence it is justly cognominated the Neapolitan Opiate. We have often seen another of the same name, in the Parisian Chirurgeons hands; which being ill descri|bed at first, was daily changed by every fresh-man: for some one|ly make it of Guaiacum, Senny, Honey, and Aqua-vitae; others adde Bayberries…

Best wishes and many thanks.

Lorenza Gianfrancesco

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies