From: Peter Lane <[log in to unmask]>
To: GEM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:16
Subject: Re: The DfE Cultural Education Plan is finally out!!!

Oh dear! Where should I start? It's exactly what I feared when the Gove/ Vaizey
think tank uttered its first words on their version of "culture".
Their trumpeted intention is in "opening the doors to rich cultural experiences
... what may be for many, the beginnings of a life-long enjoyment and
appreciation of the arts.”

One definition of culture is: "The totality of socially transmitted behaviour
patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and
thought".
So where in their "culture" does science sit?

In  appendix A, Clare Tickell does include science "... literacy, mathematics,
expressive arts and design, and understanding the world."
I have only skim read the document but that is the only mention of anything
close to meeting my personal understanding of "culture".

Allowed to go unchallenged this could be "goodbye" to the inclusion of natural
history, geology, history of science and technology etc etc" in mainstream
museums. Curiosity and clarification is the basis of most human culture - that
includes science doesn't it?

Good luck to all the potential recipients of the funds. Who is to manage their
distribution ...? Oh, of course, it's the Arts Council isn't it.

Cheers!
Peter

Peter Lane,  Learning Officer
Museum Education Team