Whilst this is not targeted at a museum education audience, I'm sharing with GEM as I feel it might be of general interest to those who are developing inclusive resources and/or services. Please circulate as widely as possible.

Happy Wednesday...

Dyslexia and transition: Making the move
Rachel Davies
July 2013
RRP £9.95 (print); £6.95 (e-book)

ISBNs:
9781862017122 (Print); 9781862017139 (PDF); 9781862017146 (ePub)
9781862017160 (Kindle); 9781862017153 (online)

Further details at: http://shop.niace.org.uk/dyslexia-and-transition.html

Short link: http://bit.ly/16Rt95k

NIACE news story: http://bit.ly/12UKbcP

[9781862017122.jpg]

Dyslexia affects approximately ten per cent of the population but many learners with dyslexia lack information about the support available to them at college, university and when learning at work. Anecdotal evidence, however, suggests that appropriate and timely support can make a big difference to student success and retention.
Knowing what to look for and what questions to ask as you visit a college open evening or attend a university interview can be very challenging; making a choice about whether to disclose your dyslexia to a prospective teacher, employer or trainer can also be fraught with difficulty.
Dyslexia and Transition is an accessible resource for dyslexic adults making the transition from/to school/college/university/work-based learning, their teachers, learning support staff, careers advisors, and families. Drawing on case studies and interviews with learners, it provides clear, unbiased guidance and practical tools that will empower dyslexic learners (and their families and other support networks) to make positive decisions about future learning. The text provides information on how dyslexia support works in different sectors of education and what type of support is available to them at various points in their educational and working lives.
About the author
Rachel Davies is an experienced dyslexia teacher who has supported learners making the transition between types of adult learning over many years. She has broad experience across the adult learning sector and is currently working in a further education college.

Rachel said:

"Making the move into learning, or moving from one kind of learning to another, is always a big decision. There's a lot to consider, and that's even more the case if you have dyslexia or need some kind of extra support whilst you're learning.

"I work with dyslexic students in a college and in this book I've summarised the kinds of information that my own students have found useful over the years. Just a few weeks ago I was talking to a student about how the year had gone and how he felt he had changed. I'd seen him go from a shy young man who was very reluctant to discuss his dyslexia with anyone, to a confident person who took charge of the support he was getting, what he used it for and when he wanted it. When I asked him about what had happened he said, 'When I first got here I didn't know how it would be. Now I realise it's not like school.' He'd discovered that as an adult you're very much the person in charge of your dyslexia support.

"Making informed choices about your learning and the support you need can be crucial to your success. I just have one plea - please don't read Dyslexia and Transition from cover to cover! It's designed to be dipped into, used when you need it, for your personal situation. Make use of it and then move on, to follow your passion; start a new career or brush up your skills - wherever learning takes you."