I agree with Zbys and Ahmed. Whether or not this process was truly random is unclear from the description.

An equally important issue, and separate from randomisation (sequence generation), is concealment of allocation - whether the researchers had the opportunity to interfere with allocation following sequence generation. Again, there is inadequate information about whether allocation was protected from interference. Ideally, clarification should be sought from the protocol, then the study authors, as Ahmed suggests.

There is no information about blinding here - not to be confused with concealment of allocation. For example, treatment assignment could have been performed by research workers separate from the treating clinicians, and a degree of blinding achieved.

Michele

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr. Ahmed M. Abou-Setta
Sent: 02 July 2013 02:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: randomisation

I will have to disagree here... I'm not saying that this is a correct form of randomization, but rather it is an unclear form of randomization until we know more.

The authors stated "We assigned participants to two groups by randomized sequential allocation. The first patient was randomly assigned to the LC group by tossing a coin, the second patient to the AB group, and the other patients were assigned to the two groups, sequentially." From this we can tell the following:

A) 1st patient was properly randomized.
B) 2nd patient was not quasi-randomized - unless they entered two patients in the study at the same time.
C) Every patient after that may or may not have been properly randomized depending on whether or not they kept flipping coins or whether they used alternate randomization.

This is the gray area where published protocols and contacting authors for additional information/ clarification comes in handy. In this case the protocol (http://www.irct.ir/searchresult.php?id=1658&number=1) doesn't help much. So the only remaining options are to either make a decision based on what is available in the published trial report or contact the author.

Ahmed