From:  Brian Alper MD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:03 AM
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: Critical appraisal criteria for randomized crossover trials

Perhaps we are using two different meanings of the word ³crossover²

In a randomized parallel trial patients are randomly assigned to A vs. B.
Over time patients may crossover from one assignment to the other, or
perhaps after the randomized period is done all patients in B will be
switched to A if there is a perception that A is superior therapy.   This
³crossover² is referring to changes in treatment assignment in ways other
than through the randomization process.  Crossover in this context may bias
or complicate the analysis.

In a randomized crossover trial the initial design is give all patients a
period of A and a period of B.  What is randomized is the order of which
period comes first.   The intention is to compare A vs. B within the same
patient.  Crossover in this context is a key factor of the primary research
design.

We have analyzed many cancer trials with outcomes of progression-free
survival but they are randomized parallel trials, often with complicated
patterns with multiple stages of care and potentially additional
randomizations (one randomization for induction chemotherapy, another
randomization for consolidation, etc.).  But this is not the randomized
crossover trial in which every patient gets both interventions being
compared.

One would generally not compare 2 different chemotherapy regimens by having
the same patient experience both regimens.   Whereas one could reasonably
expect to compare two different analgesics in this way for a chronic pain.

The goal here is to define critical appraisal criteria for trials designed
as randomized crossover trials with an expectation for paired
(within-patient) analyses.   This is not about how to manage crossover that
occurs in randomized parallel trials.

Brian S. Alper, MD, MSPH, FAAFP
Editor-in-Chief, DynaMed (dynamed.ebscohost.com)