From: Jalal Poorolajal <[log in to unmask]>
To: Hamid R Baradaran <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Meta-analysis of before/after studies

Dear Colleagues,
There is no difference between parallel
design and before after design in meta-analysis. You can obtain a
summary measure for the change or difference of the means using
meta-analysis.

Sincerely yours

Jalal Poorolajal, MD, MPH, PhD
Assistant Professor of Epidemiology,

Department of Epidemiology &
Biostatistics

Managing Editor, Journal of Research in Health
Sciences,
School of Public Health,
Hamadan University of Medical Sciences,
Hamadan, Islamic Republic of Iran
Postal code: 65157838695
Tel: +98 811 8380090 [29]
Fax: +98 811 8380509
E-mail 1: [log in to unmask]
E-mail 2: [log in to unmask]

-----Original
Message-----
>From: Hamid R Baradaran <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Dr Ali Haghdoost <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: Dr Jalal Poorolajal <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 12:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Fw: Meta-analysis of before/after studies

9:00 PM
>Subject: Meta-analysis of
before/after studies

>Hello everybody,
>I would like to know if anyone has experience with MA where the
included studies have a before/after design.
>Should I use the the same approach as with RCTs where I compute
for example raw or standardized means and their SDs along with sample sizes
or should I compute the change or difference of the means ( mean of
intervention - mean of baseline).

>Regards
>
>Kaissar Yammine, MD, MPH, PhD
>Head of the Foot and Hand Clinic
>Director of the Center for Evidence-Based Sport and Orthopedic
Research