Hi Harriet,

I think one important point to address is the question of competence
standards.  (Strictly speaking, the question of whether a proposed
adjustment alters an academic or competence standard isn't a question
about reasonableness, because the reasonable adjustment duty doesn't even
arise in relation to the application of a competence standard.  But in
practice, when working out what adjustments ought to be made, altering a
competence standard can be treated as something which makes an adjustment
automatically unreasonable.)

So, for example:
- Law students are required to demonstrate a particular standard of
knowledge in certain core areas of law before they can be awarded a
qualifying law degree. A law department makes those modules compulsory. It
would not be a reasonable adjustment to exempt a law student from one of
those courses (as long as the competence standard is objectively
justified).
- First-year physiotherapy students must be able to use palpation on a
human subject to identify specific anatomical features in order to
progress to the second year of the degree programme.  It would not be a
reasonable adjustment to replace the directly observed practical skills
test with writing an essay on anatomy (as long as the competence standard
is objectively justified).

Other examples of possible adjustments which are unlikely to be
reasonable:
- A lecture is starting in five minutes and there are 200 students
waiting. A student approaches the lecturer and says, ‘The hearing loop is
broken, we need to move to the lecture theatre in the building down the
street.’  Even if the room is free, it’s not practical to move 200 people
with 5 minutes notice, and is unlikely to be a reasonable adjustment.
Instead, the lecturer might give the student his own detailed lecture
notes and arrange to meet her during office hours to answer any questions.
(And report the fault so it’s fixed for next week.) [practicability]
- A student whose arthritis slows his writing speed significantly might
benefit from slowing the pace of lectures drastically – but if the result
is that none of the students cover the material required for the course,
the adjustment is not likely to be reasonable.  A better adjustment might
be for this student to use a laptop, or the services of a human notetaker,
and be provided with handouts in advance. [relevant and legitimate
interests of others]
- A science student with HIV has to miss some lab sessions for treatment.
She is offered additional time in the lab to catch up, but she feels this
would make her conspicuous to the other students and so rejects this
suggestion for confidentiality reasons. She decides to make do with notes
from the sessions she has missed.  This adjustment is less effective, but
respects her desire for confidentiality. [confidentiality]
- A lecturer had a blind student last year who needed handouts produced in
Braille. The lecturer is told she has a blind student this year, and
arranges for handouts to be produced in Braille again.  However, this
student does not read Braille, and uses screenreader software instead.
Producing the handouts in Braille this year was not a reasonable
adjustment. [effectiveness]

Hope that's useful, at least as a starting point for discussion!
Katya

Katya Hosking
Inclusive Curriculum Officer, Cardiff University
learning.cf.ac.uk/inclusive-curriculum

Examples of UNreasonable adjustments?

Harriet Cannon
to:
DIS-FORUM
16/07/2013 09:09

Sent by:
"Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff."
Please respond to Harriet Cannon

*With apologies for cross-posting*

Hello everyone,

I’m putting together some training for support staff around disability
support for students at university.  One area which I know staff are
always keen to know more about is reasonable adjustments.  I have reams
and reams of examples of reasonable adjustments in the HE environment, but
I’m struggling to think of as many examples of UNreasonable adjustments.

Does anyone have any good examples (real or hypothetical) they’d care to
share with me?  Happy for replies on of off-list.

Thanks!

Harriet

Harriet Cannon
Disability Coordinator (Autism Spectrum)

Equality Service
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT

Tel: 0113 34 37538
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.equality.leeds.ac.uk

Hours of work:  Monday-Wednesday, 7.15am-3.15pm
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/UoLDisability
Like us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/UoLDisabilityTeam
Find us on the web:   http://www.equality.leeds.ac.uk/