From: Lawrence Serewicz

Sent: 07/30/13 04:00 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [data-protection] ] Two Monday morning DPA challenges

Phil and everyone else who responded,

Yes, I agree about the beyond use. I was being sloppy with my technology (see below).

In both cases, the material was exempt under s.33(A). It was category E data rather than category C.  ( I was a bit loose in the language by saying it was not covered by A-E (it is still category E)).

In the first scenario. They are beyond use. I was thinking of a scenario where they could be extracted from the photocopier. I know that this is rare today, but the access is destined to increase.  If we compare today to thirty years ago when photocopiers did not retain a copy as they did not have hard drives so the “processing” was different, future photocopiers are likely to allow such copies to be accessed with increased ease.

The main point in both scenarios was that the data was manual until processed (either by photocopying or by scanning to be an electronic copy).  The sub-argument was whether a manual file that is photocopied becomes data.  As Jonathan explained, it would be now be processed and therefore personal data. In effect it would go from category E to category A.

The second scenario the issue was a matter of dates. At the first request, the material was manual data (category E)  until processed. The material would also be exempt under s.33(A) The follow up SAR would capture it as it had become data. It had been processed (scanned to a file to be sent as an attachment via email) and thus held as data by the organisation.

The issue highlights how one part of an organisation can understand a document as manual data, and therefore exempt under s.33 (A) unaware that another part of the organisation has processed it and turned it into personal data ie Category A data.

Also, it was to highlight the issue that the organisation could disclose the material in the spirit of the DPA although it could be considered exempt under s.33(A) in scenario 1 but *not* in scenario 2. (In scenario 2 it would not be exempt under s.33(A) because it was not category E data as it had become category A data).

As DPA advisers,  we would have to provide the full DPA advice considering what the letter and the spirit of the Act require. Whatever our personal views, the organisation, as data controller, will decide what it wants to disclose ie whether it wants to override s.33(A) or not in scenario 1. We would also have to be vigilant, in giving our advice, to scenarios 2 where one part of an organisation views the material as manual data (ie category E) while another part has it as category A.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me think through the issues.

Best,

Lawrence