From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Janet Newman
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] database of crystallization condition

Dear Hena,

The BMCD might be a resource worth investigating:

http://xpdb.nist.gov:8060/BMCD4/index.faces

Although there are claims that structurally similar proteins may crystallise under similar conditions (the existence of directed screens  -such as the Jena Biosciences 'Kinase' screen, you have to wonder (as Enrico points out) how these can work, as the bits that change the most in any protein family are the outside bits (ie, away from the active site) and thus are generally the parts going to affect crystallisation the most.

Janet

Janet Newman
Principal Scientist / Director, Collaborative Crystallisation Centre
CSIRO Material Science and Engineering
343 Royal Parade
Parkville.  VIC. 3052
Australia
Tel +613 9662 7326
Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>