My experience with xtals frosting in LN2 either in a dewar, while freezing, or in pucks, has been because the LN2 was contaminated with ice crystals  The fog you see above your dewar when freezing xtals is frozen water vapor...it will fall and collect in the LN2 and also deposit on the xtals. Dewars filled with recycled LN2 get contaminated with ice. Dewars dried upside down allow the cold gas to flow out and warm moist air to flow in and the water to condense inside the dewar (basic physics). To dry shipping dewars keep up right while warming.
Steve

Sent from my iPad