But they could call these same lords' wives "cuntesses"?
John

From: GILES GOODLAND <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, 22 July 2013 10:31
To: British & Irish Poets <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Ekphrastic

Alec

this reminds me of an interesting side-light on English word-history. After the Norman invasion, the english language slowly accepted all of the Norman titles of nobility and station (baron, lord, lady, etc) but not that of 'Count', because att he time it would have been a homophone of the 2nd body-part you mentioned. (The word entered English only much later as a term for European nobility). The serfs could not go around calling their lords "cunts"!