That is exactly the  solution I tried  on Friday, having at last found a free half day, but thanks anyway.  It is quite surprising that Blackboard didn’t suggest this to me when I asked them how to do it – then again nothing Bb does ever surprises me!

It does pretty much prevent them from participating in modules because for blogs and wikis we use Learning Objects campus pack and unless I put this role in campus pack then it just treats it as a viewer which is what we want.  They also cannot create new forums but can add posts. They can submit blackboard assignments and take tests but since they don’t appear in the gradecentre this doesn’t matter

We have tried various ways to discourage this but it is not just a question of good practice, they want instructors to be able to see what is being taught on the other modules – I have tried pointing out that the majority of instructors simply wouldn’t have the time to go ferreting about in many other modules but the departmental heads are strong on saying that they must be able to do this. Also the departmental heads themselves want to be able to look at module sites to see if the instructors are making use of them – there is a very strong drive here from Learning and Teaching to ensure a minimum level of content on every module. It also means that a last minute  substitute lecturer doesn’t have to get themselves enrolled on a module to teach a single session.

You are right in that they don’t appear in gradecentre but unfortunately Turnitin does list them and would show papers if they were to submit one  (though that seems an unlikely scenario)   They don’t appear in the roster (though no one ever looks at this anyway) they do appear in the list of users seen in control panel so we will have to explain to instructors how they can filter the list by the Role heading to have them at the bottom of the list .

The only permission I have allowed is viewing “unavailable “ courses  - we only have modules that are actually running available on our current year tab but many of these may be set unavailable at different times

Thanks anyway for taking the time to suggest something.  The next stage will be to pilot the role with a small group to make sure it is what they want.

Clive Richards

eLearning Support / Cymorth e-ddysgu

EMAIL: [log in to unmask] / E-BOST: [log in to unmask]

SALT

Promoting Excellence in Learning and Teaching

Hybu Rhagoriaeth mewn Dysgu ac Addysgu