Good morning all!

Many thanks to those archive services in England who have already given us an indication of their expected schedule to apply for Archive Service Accreditation. We greatly appreciate your input as we plan the programme's first years of operation.

With several hundred archive services in England eligible to apply to the scheme, we are inviting archive services to give an initial indication of when they would like to apply for accredited status, via a short survey.  As a reminder, and in case any interested services have not received a direct email as yet, the planning survey link is at: http://archiveserviceaccreditation.surveyanalytics.com.

If your archive service is located in another home nation, please contact the relevant assessor body to discuss making an application: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/applying-archive-service-accreditation.htm.

*

Archive Service Accreditation is aimed at organisations which hold archive collections, whatever their constitution, and covers both private and public sector archives.  Any archive service which meets the eligibility criteria (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/eligibility.htm) can apply. Archive Service Accreditation will help you review your service, identify its strengths and provide a framework to improve areas of weakness. The standard and accompanying guidance are available now on The National Archives website (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/archive-service-accreditation.htm).

Before you complete the survey, we suggest you consider the scheme guidance and in particular the scaled requirements for your type of service. This will help you decide when would be most appropriate time for your archive service to apply for Archives Service Accreditation.  Although some services will find that they have much of the required evidence already, may services will go through a process of planning and development which may take months or even years.  Even if you are not planning to apply in the foreseeable future, this would be useful information for us in resourcing the scheme. The timing of your invitation to apply to the scheme will be based on the response you provide but will not be binding. Archive services whose circumstances change may need to apply in a different group. Please contact the accreditation team as soon as possible if your plans change.

We will hold the survey open for a further two weeks, to give as many services as possible a chance to respond. If you would like to discuss your response and/or get in touch with the Accreditation Team on any other topic, please email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.   I have also created a group on the ARA Community for anyone who wants to have informal discussions about accreditation: http://www.archives.org.uk/sections/interest-groups/general/archive-service-accreditation-help-for-applicants.html.

All the best and thanks again for your interest in the scheme so far.

Melinda

Dr Melinda Haunton
Programme Manager (Accreditation)
+44 (0)20 8392 5330
The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU
nationalarchives.gov.uk

National Archives Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.