And for another use for glassy blast furnace slag.....

There are now a handful of high-skilled knappers of stone tools in the USA (and elsewhere, of course).  Since PaleoIndian fluted points (Clovis and Folsom) have monetary value, some unscrupulous modern flintknappers make fakes and sell them to unsuspecting collectors.  The more ethical members of the flintknapping community consistently make their replicas on materials that can't possibly be confused with genuine archaeological artifacts, and for them a favorite material is blast furnace slag.  I have seen some wonderful replicas of Folsom points in turquoise-coloured blast furnace slag!

From: Arch-Metals Group [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Rehren, Thilo [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Slag Color Change

For further discussion - from lime kilns though but with the same effects - people may wish to consult:

Artioli et al. 2009, The blue enamels in the baroque decorations of the churches of Palermo, Sicily: Fe2+-coloured glasses from lime kilns. Archaeometry 51, 197-213.

Here, deep blue lime kiln slag has between 1 and 4 wt% FeO, 2-12% Al2O3, 3-6% MgO, 10 to 25% CaO and 40 to 75 wt% SiO2 (and 0.3 to 0.6 wt% TiO2). Those sampled from church decorations are richer in lime and iron (25 and 4 resp) and lower in silica (40 to 60) than the slag samples collected in the kilns, but clearly the same in principle.

As I said before: it's beautiful stuff - just look at the sky blue slags and altar fronts (Fig 7 and Fig 1 in that article)! Good substitute for lapis lazuli and turquoise...

Thilo