Subject: Re: Post of Statistical Editor for the Journal of Child Health
Care
From: John Sorkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, July 06, 2013 6:15 am
To: [log in to unmask]

Re: Post of Statistical Editor for the Journal of Child Health Care
Diana,
You describe the tyranny of scientific publication. We write the papers, received no payment for our efforts, and at times even have to pay to be published. We volunteer our time to review papers, or serve as editors, again without compensation. At least we don't have to pay for the "honor" of being a reviewer or editor. All profits devolve to the publisher; we support the publisher with our time and intellectual property. Many publishers insist on holding a copyright on our work for which we receive no compensation and restrict dissemination of our ppaers! Copyright is held despite the fact that the ultimate source of support for the science described in our papers most often comes from the public coffers (e.g. NIH) and thus arguably should be the property of the people of nation whose taxes paid for the study.
The exploitive system is much like the "student" athlete in the US wherein the athlete competes in a sport, receives no salary and the "big" money goes directly to the University. On-line free access publications have not solved the problem as the on-line journals typically charge exorbitant page charges.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119
(Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing) >>> "Kornbrot, Diana" <[log in to unmask]> 7/6/2013 4:39 AM >>>
This is an exciting opportunity to subsidise Sage’s profits.

the info suggests that time commitment will be of order of 4 hours/week, i.e. 10% of annual salary.
Where does this resource come form?
1.  it is overtime outside editor’s normal job. If so, think whether you want to donate 10%of your salary to Sage. Would cancer research be a better destination?
And/or
2. your employer is counting this work as apart of your normal work load. If so, they are either employing someone else to do that work and so subsidising Sage, or the time to devote to normal work, e.g. Students or patients is diminished. Of course they are also paying through the ose for journal subscription

Of course, you are also contributing  to the filed of Child Health Care and this is a valuable contribution and I am an admirer of all editors who do selflessly contribute. Nevertheles subsidising Sage is a by product of this dedication

Of course, editors’ CVs and departmental reputation also benefit, but 10% of salay. Is that reasonable

Best

Diana Kornbrot