From: HEEON equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lechner, Andrea
Sent: 16 July 2013 10:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Athena SWAN data

Hi

We are preparing data for our Athena SWAN action plan and application and in the process of this I have come across a difference of opinion in how we distinguish between academics and researchers.

Some of my colleagues would differentiate as follows:

*         Academic - does teaching, research/scholarly activity/income generation and associated admin (marking, admissions tutor etc.)

*         Researcher - primarily is engaged to do research (some on fixed-term contracts as their contract is tied to a grant and fixed external income), they may do some teaching though this is rare and incidental

Some of my colleagues would view Professors and Reader as Researchers as they mainly do research. Typically our lecturers and senior lecturers teach between 14-18 hours per week and a Professor or Reader would probably teach up to/around 6 hours per week.

I should say we are a Million + university and there is the potential that Russell Group institutions may use different criteria.

How do you distinguish between academic staff and research staff?

Kind regards,
Andrea

Andrea Lechner
HR Manager (Development & Diversity)
HR Services
Tel. 0845 196 4928
Email. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

World-leading research.  The government rated 8 areas of our research activity as world-leading in the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, they were:   Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named recipient(s) only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in error you must take  no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone: please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and then immediately delete the e-mail from your system. Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.
Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which may not be a 100% secure communications.