Mike Steiner asked if abetalipoproteinaemia would have an impact on the electrophoretic pattern of the serum using either cellulose actetate or a capillary technique ?

In my experience beta-lipoprotein (LDL) used to be seen as a very narrow, rather intense, „squiggly (not straight)“ line usually between alpha-2 and beta on most serum protein electrophoreses using agarose. This was when we used Beckman system. It did not contribute much to the densitometer scan. Since we changed to Helena a number of years ago, the LDL band does not seem as apparent. In fact, I just looked at a couple of gels and could not see any band that looked like LDL.  The difference is most probably a difference in the stain.

So abetalipoproteinemia probably would have little or no impact. (I have no experience with capellary electrophoresis.)

-Jim

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/