Ted,
Certainly do agree in historical terms "witch" would have been used. As inaccurate historically as it is now, but given the time frame there were accusations of demonic possession not only by witches but within churches and convents. My understanding is the power rested within the Devil and not with the "witch" as to the possession. Witches certainly had the believed ability to enchant (bewitch) which may be the gist of what was originally asked.

I am certainly not condemning you for your assessment of question!

----- Original Message -----
From: "MFN" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 12:52:30 PM
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] opposite of an exorcist

I am a modern practicing Witch and thought of writing 'a Witch' too for the same reason. (I just would have given it a capital W.)
Interesting results though.
FG

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Ted Hand < [log in to unmask] > wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the discussion. It's just
that there are a number of posts above that I'm having trouble
not reading as ironic in the "mocking" sense, as attacking me
as if I held or were endorsing or condemning certain of the ideas
under consideration. I'm not interested in fighting with anybody,
and I'm certainly not here to attack or impugn contemporary
witches. However, I'm still confused as to how the relationship
between "modern" and "historical" "witches" is understood in
the contemporary scholarship. Has there been some finding that
I'm not aware of in support of the Murray thesis or something?