Alastair, I've just taken a quick look at this code and, without having
an LDAP server to test it against, I have two further suggestions which
may be helpful in resolving your issue:

1.  In the class_ldap_authenticator.php replace line 103:

       $id = $DAO->get_insert_id();

with:

       $sql = 'SELECT user_id FROM ' . APP__DB_TABLE_PREFIX . "user
WHERE source_id = '' AND username = '{$this->username}'";
       $id = $DAO->fetch_value($sql);

2.  Ensure that the user is enrolled in at least one module - the
current version of WebPA 2 does not permit a user to log in unless they
have a role in at least one module.

Stephen

PS The change in 1. is in addition to the previous suggestion of
removing line 90:

  'user_type' => get_LDAP_user_type($info[0][LDAP__USER_TYPE_ATTRIBUTE]),