Dear Alessandra,

Yes, for sharing snapshots that is a good way to go.
However, I had the impression from HEPSYSMAN they we are going for the
development of general modules that will benefit all of the sites.
Otherwise we will be doing a lot of copy & paste + own modifications,
hence not reducing the overall effort.

My aim is to create such modules and everyone is welcome to contribute at:
https://github.com/HEP-Puppet

The goal is to create fully functional (i.e. installable via 'puppet
module install <modulename>'), testable and site-independent modules
as it is partially achieved for
https://github.com/HEP-Puppet/puppet-cvmfs.
I you want a full example of such a module, I think this one is quite good:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-mysql

Also, I assume the SVN repository you pointed me to is public. You
probably don't want the certificates files to be there:
http://www.sysadmin.hep.ac.uk/svn/fabric-management/puppet/durham/modules/service_node/files/

Cheers,
Luke

On 23 June 2013 22:48, Alessandra Forti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Luke,
>
> I'm not sure how many people will put that much effort on discussion boards
> and to review workflows but I take you point.
> The choice of sysadmin.hep.ac.uk was to share code snapshots to get ideas
> from each other without too much commitment to
> produce something that would work out of the box. Of course if this is what
> you are aiming at git is a better tool.
>
> cheers
> alessandra
>

> On 23/06/2013 22:34, L Kreczko wrote:
>>
>> Dear Alessandra,
>>
>> Thank you for pointing me to the repository, I did not know about it.
>> However, I noticed it is SVN (and a single repository). For a normal
>> use case this should be sufficient, but for the distributed nature of
>> this project, I would recommend git. In addition github provides easy
>> ways for code reviews (pull requests).
>>
>> Also, having one repository per module makes it very easy to follow
>> the changes (otherwise a change to a module in a big repository will
>> clutter the history). Another benefit of this is module testing: when
>> a module is correctly configured (Modulefile, metadata.json, etc).
>> This can even be automated using travis.org (very useful for
>> production grade modules!).
>>
>> To summarise my suggestions:
>> - git/mercurial is more suitable for distributed development than SVN/CVS
>> - Github provides a very good web interface for discussion, code
>> review, distributed workflow, etc.
>> - one repository per module so the history is not cluttered (makes it
>> also easy to assign issues)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Luke
>>

>> On 23 June 2013 20:28, Alessandra Forti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Luke,
>>>
>>> we decided quite some time ago to put things on the www.sysman.hep.ac.uk
>>> repository.
>>>
>>> http://www.sysadmin.hep.ac.uk/svn/fabric-management/puppet/
>>>
>>> Birmingham and Durham already started to post there. It's not compulsory
>>> but
>>> certainly less dispersive if we all use the same place.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> alessandra

>>> --
>>> Facts aren't facts if they come from the wrong people. (Paul Krugman)
>>>

> --
> Facts aren't facts if they come from the wrong people. (Paul Krugman)

  Lukasz Kreczko            +44 (0)117 928 8724
  CMS Group
  School of Physics
  University of Bristol