Dear Manuel and Christophe,

We've generally used ANCOVA rather than proportional scaling, in order to avoid scaling the noise with the signal (for application in paired PET studies analysed with SPM, see e.g. PubMed identifiers PMID 18809501, PMID 17301080).

I don't know whether your FDG PETs were absolutely quantified - probably not, and you may have the then typical inter-subject coefficients of variation for global values of ~30%. You also seem to have two outliers with unusually high values; it's always worth checking those for any anomalies.
I  wonder whether it is then a good idea to scale the two groups separately; maybe you could rather try the following design matrix (extract):

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Alexander
-----------------------------
Alexander Hammers, MD PhD

Chair in Functional Neuroimaging
Neurodis Foundation
http://www.fondation-neurodis.org/
Postal Address:
CERMEP – Imagerie du Vivant
Hôpital Neurologique Pierre Wertheimer
59 Boulevard Pinel, 69003 Lyon, France

Telephone	+33-(0)4-72 68 86 34
Fax			+33-(0)4-72 68 86 10
Email		[log in to unmask];[log in to unmask]
Other affiliations:

Visiting Reader; Honorary Consultant Neurologist
Division of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Faculty of Medicine
Imperial College London, UK
Honorary Reader in Neurology; Honorary Consultant Neurologist
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery/ Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK