Dear Nurul,

Yes, the sign can sometimes be confusing here.

The negative free energy is an approximation to the log model evidence.

The optimisation algorithm that fits (deterministic) DCMs to data is called spm_nlsi_GN.m.

It returns a value F which is the negative free energy (see help for that function).

The model evidence is then exp(F) – this is likely to be a very small number – but the absolute value is not so important.

Its the relative evidences for different models that is more important.

If you have eg.  fitted models 1 and 2 to data from 12 subjects then you can make a table of log model evidences with two columns and 12 rows (ie all the F’s for model 1 in column 1, F’s for model 2 in column 2). Then call the function spm_BMS.m which implements random effects model inference – you can read more about that here [1].

All the best,

Will.

[1]  Stephan KE, Penny WD, Daunizeau J, Moran RJ, Friston KJ (2009)

  Bayesian Model Selection for Group Studies. NeuroImage 46:1004-1017