They are asking for a small donation.

------ Forwarded Message ------
From: "Blanche Jones - 38 Degrees" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Dr L Brownstein" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 07/06/2013 16:19:12
Subject: NHS: Take Hunt to court

Dear Dr L,

Shutting A&E departments can cost lives. Recent reports showed that when
an A&E in Newark closed, there was a 37% jump in patient deaths. [1] Yet
across the country A&Es are being cut. Not because of clinical need, but
to meet unrealistic financial demands made by the Health Secretary
Jeremy Hunt. [2]

If we work together, we can stop this worrying trend. In Lewisham, South
London, local campaigners want to take the government to court over
plans to slash their A&E and maternity services. If they win their court
case, it would be a huge boost for battles to protect A&E services up
and down the country.

This is a court case that matters for all of us, not just the people of
Lewisham. But for it to go ahead, the campaigners desperately need more
funds. So far they've raised £5,000 on their own. If we can help them
get to £20,000, they can hire in a top legal team and make the most of
their chance to challenge the closure.

Please will you chip in just £1 now? If enough of us donate, the Save
Lewisham Hospital campaign will be able to take Jeremy Hunt to court!
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c04f99/2d53fe1f/50560b6c/46600c28/2847747190/VEsE/

If Jeremy Hunt gets away with slashing services in Lewisham, he'll be
far more likely to try it elsewhere. Lewisham hospital is
well-performing. Crazily, it’s because Lewisham is a successful hospital
that it has been targeted. Hunt wants to move money-making services away
from Lewisham to bail out hospitals making losses in the area next door.

Expert lawyers say he isn’t allowed to do this. A judge has already
agreed that there's a case to answer, and capped costs at £20,000. If we
can raise that money and get the right legal team in place, we have a
real chance of getting Jeremy Hunt's closure plan overturned.

The Save Lewisham Hospital campaign is an inspiring example of ordinary
people working to protect the NHS. Many of them are 38 Degrees members.
They are campaigning for the same thing as the rest of us - a decent NHS
we can all rely on. And if they win, it will boost our chances of
protecting A&E services everywhere. So let's show them our support and
help them take Jeremy Hunt to court!

The court case is scheduled to start in a couple of weeks - please
donate now so the legal team can start working as soon as possible:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/m/74c04f99/2d53fe1f/50560b6c/46600c28/2847747190/VEsF/

Thanks for being involved,

Blanche, Ian, David and the 38 Degrees team

FURTHER INFORMATION

What is the legal case about?

The Save Lewisham Hospital campaign is asking for the court to review
Jeremy Hunt’s decision to downgrade a number of services at Lewisham
Hospital. Lawyers have said he didn’t have the authority to make this
decision. For more information on the case, click here:
http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Grounds-for-SLH-challenge.pdf

Why are they trying to raise £20,000?

A judge has agreed that the case should be heard, and that the amount of
money local people should have to pay to fight it should be limited. The
judge limited the amount Government lawyers could claim in costs if they
win. The Save Lewisham Hospital campaign’s lawyers have also limited
their fees - so in total, the most that the legal challenge could cost
the campaign is £20,000.

What happens if we raise more than the £15,000 still needed?

Any donations made above the £15,000 target will go towards 38 Degrees’
campaigning work, including our NHS campaign and supporting other local
hospital campaigns. For more details of our donations policy click here:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/pages/donations-to-38-degrees

Can the £20,000 be recovered if the case is successful?

If the legal challenge is successful there is a chance that the legal
costs can be recovered. If this happens, the Save Lewisham Hospital
campaign will return the donations made to their legal fund. They will
be reinvested in 38 Degrees’ campaigning work, in line with our
donations policy.

Can I get involved in any other ways?

The Save Lewisham Hospital website contains lots of further information
about the campaign and other ways people can get involved:
http://www.savelewishamhospital.com/

What about my local hospital which is also under threat?

Hopefully a successful legal challenge to save Lewisham hospital will
help protect other hospitals which are under threat. If your local
hospital or NHS services is under threat and you are interested in
launching a local campaign in your area (or have details of a campaign
that already exists) please email the office team at

NOTES

[1] The Daily Mail: Shocking proof A&E closures cost lives: Death rate
jumps more than a THIRD after department closes
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323141/Shocking-proof-Accident-Emergency-closures-cost-lives-Death-rate-jumps-THIRD-department-closes.html
[2] The Guardian: Lewisham hospital closure sets worrying precedent for
NHS
http://www.guardian.co.uk/healthcare-network/2013/jan/22/lewisham-hospital-closure-worrying-precedent-nhs