On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Stephen Downes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<snip>
On 09/06/2013 4:23 PM, Pete Forsyth wrote:
As Cable can attest, this is exactly the position I was advocating.

<snip>

Stephen, I think you misunderstand me; I'm not here to take a side in what this grant program should do. (Please note the word "OR" in my summary.)

But, as I believe some of the followup questions on this list have underscored, there is a great need to provide simple, dispassionate, and clear information about the various consequences of choosing various licensing provisions. That's the kind of information Wikipedia was designed to serve up.

Stephen, you have a strong history of contributing to Wikipedia -- thank you for that! Can I persuade you to put some work into the articles I linked above? The article "open content" was accessed 7,000 times in May; that's a lot of people seeking good information and, essentially, finding none.

Right now, my students in "Writing Wikipedia Articles" ( http://j.mp/WIKISOO ) are working hard on articles like Open Educational Resources, Open Educational Practices. Many of them are brand new to the concept of OER, but have opted to put some effort into these important articles. The more they have experts working alongside them, the more they will be inspired to continue their work, and the better the (Wikipedia-searching) world at large will understand this important field.

-Pete
--
Pete Forsyth
Project Lead, Communicate OER