Dear Rory, Cable, Stephen, and everyone:

Whatever structural decision is made here, it will immediately be necessary for many individual researchers to make their own decisions about what license they wish to, or are willing to, use.

But even in the audience for a call for research like this, there is a great deal of confusion about the differences among free licenses.

What can we do to serve the growing need for content creators to learn about, for instance, the practical differences between CC BY and CC BY-SA?

Many people will go to Wikipedia to scaffold their understanding; but what they find about free licenses will not, to put it mildly, be very helpful:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_license
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_content#Licenses

Writing about free licenses in a way that is well sourced, and accessible to a non-expert audience, takes work. I believe those of us who know something about the field have a duty to ensure that pages like this are helpful, and contribute to the world's understanding of OER and related concepts.

What can be done to improve these articles? What source material can we dig into? It's worth pointing out: the web site Freedom Defined has a lot of good detail about the NC and ND provisions (http://freedomdefined.org/NC), but since it is an open edit wiki, it lacks the authority that would make it a good source for Wikipedia. Just like the discussions on this email list.

So: where have things like ND and NC been discussed in high quality publications? If they haven't been, who on this list can address that gap? How can we help the world learn about the differences among open content licenses?

-Pete
--
Pete Forsyth
Project Lead, Communicate OER