From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tavis Reddick
Sent: 05 June 2013 16:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Low bandwidth OERs

Can anyone point me to a technical guide to creating low-bandwidth OERs? Some descriptions I’ve found on the web are either possibly out of date or only provide partial guidance.

As a web developer, I can understand using plain text (although plain HTML styled with CSS could be an alternative); breaking up content into separate, streamable files; providing alternative downloads/formats; using vector rather than bitmap graphics where appropriate; various compression options and so forth.

However, I’m wondering about an overall approach, and what kind of devices/bandwidth speeds that are being targeted, what kind of user experience is required, what trade-offs are considered best practice, and how low bandwidth might be related to low-specification devices (say, older mobile phones).

Tavis Reddick
Adam Smith College

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments immediately. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the author's employer (the College). The College does not take any responsibility for the views of the author.

The College, is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC021196