Hiya all,

On 09/06/2013 3:48 PM, rory wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
With all due respect to Stephen, I would argue that if academics want the grant, then they can adjust their "principles" .

Wow, I've heard that a lot in my career. I didn't expect it from Rory. Is this the sort of attitude we're trying to promote when we adevocate for 'free' and 'open'?

If this were your money I'd say fine, but this is Gates Foundation money, which leads me to wonder whether Gates is buying a dose of commercial-friendly academics with their largess. I have yet to adjust my principles just for the sake of getting Gates grant money, and that's not about to start.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
We should insist on the most open licence for this call: CC-BY or CC-BY-SA Academics who have a problem with that can NOT apply.

CC-BY are NOT the "most open" licenses, they are merely the most commerce-friendly. Licenses that allow prople to block access and charge money for access to materials are less open, not more open.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
I understand that and that is their decision. I think we can live with that but  the content's value is diminished whe there are all kinds of different restrictions.

As I commented to Cable, it is the introduction of the commercial element bring in all kinds of limitations and liabilities. It is simply not true that licenses enabling commercial use are less restrictive.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
IRRODL has insisted on a CC-BY licence for many years and we have not yet come across any academic refusing to contribute because of the licence.

That's a non-sequiter. The academics that would be bothered by the license simply don't contribute. Others put up with the license but publish anyways to advance their careers. It's just like when academic published in commercial journals.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
So, from that perspective, I have NO worries that this will limit researchers. Even Stephen has published under CC-BY-SA. See the COL edited book - his chapter https://oerknowledgecloud.org/?q=content/role-open-educational-resources-personal-learning
So, I am sure that even Stephen can adjust his "principles" from time to time. And I thank him for his flexibility in contributing his excellent chapter to the COL OER book.

As Rory knows full well, my article was not originally intended for the book where it ended up, and it is there because I was trying to be accomodating to a request. I think throwing my reasonableness back in my face during a discussion isn't very honorable.

This isn't about me being inflexible. This is about whether demanding that authors MUST allow commercial publication of their work is appropriate.

Nor even was it about me trying to tell AU what it should do with its project. My original objection was against Creative Commons lobbying in favour of one of its licenses, at the expense of another of its licenses. I kept details of this specific project out of my complaints, because my objection wasn`t about a specific project.