Some quick comments (from another Wikimedian):
1) Just because Creative Commons offers multiple options, they are not
required to treat those options as equal. I don't want to see them
discouraged from advocating truly free licensing.
2) Arguing for the freedom to restrict freedoms (or arguing that the
inability to restrict freedoms is an unacceptable restriction of freedom)
is paradoxical, isn't it? In philosophy, Russell addressed this sort of
paradox with the theory of logical types and, more relevantly, Popper with
the concept of the Open Society. Restricting the changes that can happen
politically, so that certain opportunities and flexibility are inviolate,
may seem anti-democratic but are necessary to preserve democracy. The same
separation of levels applies here.
3) This phrasing: "If you continue to support the "everyone must support
CC-by" position, I will simply regard you as being against free and open
access to learning and learning resources, and working instead for people
trying to privatize the education system, puting your own narrow
self-interest ahead of wider social values (putting you in my mind on par
with banks and the oil industry)." seems calculated to invite satire.

Thanks Pete for bringing the discussion to a clear and concrete example.

--
Dr Martin L Poulter
New Media Manager

Tel: +44 (0)117 331 3394