From: Susan Gorton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Practice Placement

Dear Oluranti

I am not sure you appreciate that there are many students in the same boat and many make similar appeals on JISC.  I would suggest that there may have been better ways to have gone about this.

You have suggested that your person skills would make you a good student of OH and for sure there will be transferrable skills.

However, what you pick up during your OH training does NOT, sadly (and Anne Harris will confirm this) fully prepare you for the role of the OH in terms of practical skills.

Many of your peers have gone out of their way to get some of these skills before applying for the course. By doing so they can make a valuable contribution to any OH team to offset the resources they ‘remove’ from needing support, supervision and training in situ. Some have spent time working as an OHPN before going on the training.

By practical skills I mean things like spirometry, audiometry, immunisation, and phlebotomy skills.

So in a world of limited opportunity and loads of competition the best way is to offer more.

One of the reasons that I am currently offering a maternity leave fixed term contract which has been geared to help someone in training or newly qualified (but they must be able to do 4 days per week as a minimum) is to help the OH trainee or newly trained to get some more experience. However immunisation and phlebotomy experience and skills is a core requirement in any NHS OH unit.

You have a bit of time, I suggest that perhaps you contact an OH agency and see if you can get some work as a practise nurse if you have some of these skills or see about some skills training.

Regards
Sue
Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7405 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568

Please be advised that all e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process will be printed and entered into the individual's OH file or copied and added as an electronic note on their electronic OH record. This may therefore be disclosed under the Data Protection Act (1998).