I feel your pain, Sue. My experience was similar.

Employee went sick with "stress" citing the fact that she had been ordered to do something that she felt was discriminatory - refrred to OH. She told me she would only come back to work if she could have a written assurance from the Boss that she wouldnt have to do that particular task (it was never going to happen) so i wrote a very carefully worded report that said "More could be achieved by management, rather than clinical intervention in this case. There needs to be some robust discussion of the issues that she cites otherwise it is likely that her GP will sanction absence in the longer term blah blah blah"

Bright spark HR person wrote to employee saying "The OHA says you are fit for work, if you dont come back we will stop your pay". ....and thus I became to focus of the employees dissatisfaction. Complaints, grievances, stroppy phone calls, being blamed for the whole issue by the unions and her family (who all worked there) etc etc, stressed out managers aplenty. Roll on 18 months and the issue still wasnt resolved because of the initial misquoting of my advice and it went to ET, where I was cross examined for 2 hours. A very stressful time for me...as Sue so rightly says " It is a challenge when you are supposed to be everyone’s support."

As a result of all this went on some "ET witness" legal training - highly recommended to anyone in similar circumstances. wish I had done it before the court case......

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:29:32 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Fees for ET
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks Dawn.

It seems that I am not the only one who has been through a negative experience of an ET and I am very touched by the people taking the trouble to write to me – so thank you. At the moment, I am just feeling tired and the ET is only a partial contributor at present, mainly because since it was postponed in April we haven’t had much communication except dates for scheduling the next one. Just prior to that it was a nightmare especially as I had to go through all of this last year when she put most of the same stuff in a grievance. It is a challenge when you are supposed to be everyone’s support.

Now its staff off sick, heavy mental health case load, new chief exec and too much to do.

I am lucky that some time ago the Trust gave me a personal support person outside my department and we meet once a month and she champions me when I need it and reminds me to look after myself when I am not. But she was also the person who was tasked to investigate the grievance at the end of last year so now she is embroiled in the ET as well as not being able to support me through the grievance investigation so that was hard.

The doctor can be a bit defensive especially on cases where he has put in a lot of hard work and some of the stuff she wrote upset him. In the end we have had to get another doctor involved in her case as he won’t see her because she has said he is unprofessional and compromised – ‘compromised because he works for the hospital that is!!.

She is not mentally well balanced and part of the problem was the years (and I do mean years, off sick but not paid years, but years nonetheless)  trying to get her official diagnosis out of her. The worst of her behaviour came when she was allegedly declared well by her GP – well actually she declared herself well and the GP very particularly used those words when writing to us!

We’ve been assured by the lawyers that our case is solid. Even MIND pulled out of helping this lady. This is her second hospital where she has tried the same thing and they paid her off last time so this spurs on her sense of righteousness as well as her confidence that she will succeed.  We have to win for the sake of all the other cases she has prepared and for her future employers….

And yes, its hard not to get defensive or think that if you could have communicated better, this situation may have been avoided. Even though I am confident that actually in this case, we probably tried too hard to resolve the issues and still nothing worked, going through everything is still difficult.

I am seriously not throwing my toys out the pram and leaving but I didn’t threaten to when the Trust’s lawyers told us she had applied for another postponement. I am working on leaving the country but that is to go to Australia where my children have now all returned. I need to find a role first and I don’t particularly like the health and safety model of the OHN role they use out there so it may take some time to find work.

But don’t worry, I’ll get my JISC linked to my home email address when the time comes…

Best wishes

Sue

Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7405 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568

Please be advised that all e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process will be printed and entered into the individual's OH file or copied and added as an electronic note on their electronic OH record. This may therefore be disclosed under the Data Protection Act (1998).